About Property Tax


General Property Questions

1.  When are property tax bills mailed out?

Property tax bills are mailed during September or October of each year.  They are mailed to the owner of record (as of January 1).  If a deed change occurs after the first of the year, a tax bill will be mailed to the new owner of the property as a courtesy.  New owners should contact their title company or review their closing statement to determine who is responsible for paying the taxes.  Unpaid taxes continue to accrue against the property.

2.  When are Dickson County property taxes due? 

Taxes are due and payable the first Monday in October through the last day of February of the following year without penalty and interest charges.

3.  Can I make partial payments? 

Partial payments can be made on the current year's taxes, as long as taxes are paid in full by the February due date.  You may begin making payments when you receive your tax notice. Beginning March 1, partial payments will be accepted, but penalty and interest will be added to the total due.

4.  What happens if I miss the tax payment deadline? 

County property tax notices are mailed out in late September or early October and are payable beginning the first Monday in October.  They become delinquent March 1 each year.  The Trustee's Office collects county property taxes for the current year.  Delinquent taxes remain in the Trustee's Office for one year while accruing penalty and interest of 1½% per month (18% annually).  After taxes have been delinquent for one year, they are turned over to the Dickson County Chancery Court and the Delinquent Tax Attorney for pursuit of collection.  Once delinquent taxes are turned over to Chancery Court, additional fees and penalties accumulate as a result of prosecuting the tax collection suit.  Penalty and interest continue to accumulate.  After the conclusion of the delinquent tax suit, the county holds a tax sale to sell property in order to collect delinquent taxes.

5.  What time period do these taxes cover? 

The taxes that become payable the first Monday in October cover the current calendar year.

6.  Where can I pay my taxes? 

You can mail your check or money order payable to Dickson County Trustee, P. O. Box 246, Charlotte, TN  37036.  You may also bring your payment to the Trustee's Office located in the Courthouse Annex in Charlotte, or our branch offices located at 106 North Main Street in Dickson and 52 Graham Street in White Bluff.  Our offices are open 8:00 am until 4:00 pm Monday through Friday.  Call for information concerning office hours in White Bluff.  We also have an outside drop box located on the right side of the building at our Dickson office.  If you wish, you can pay current taxes at all local banks, but you must present your current year tax notice and only full payments can be accepted.

7.  What does the term "Etux" beside my husband's name on the property bill mean?  

"Etux" is a Latin phrase meaning "and wife."  The phrase "Etvir" means "and husband."  "Etal" means "and others."

 Back to Top

8.  What do some of the terms on my tax bill mean?  

Check the online glossary section for definitions of terms on your tax bill.

9.  My mortgage company pays my taxes.  What do I do with the notice?  

Tax information should be forwarded to your mortgage company.

10.  My Name and/or Address are incorrect.  What needs to be done? 

Contact the Assessor of Property's Office at 615-789-7015.

11.  What is the Dickson County property tax rate?  The 2016 tax rate is $2.70 per hundred dollars of assessed value.

12.  How do I calculate my taxes?  

To calculate the amount of your taxes, first multiply the total appraised value by the properties classification (see chart below), then divide by 100, then multiply by the tax rate. Using a $50,000 appraised value as an example:
$50,000 X 25% (Residential) = $12,500 Assessed Value
then $12,500/100 = 125 
then $2.70 X 125 = $363

13.  What is the assessed value of a property?  

The assessed value of property is a percentage of the total appraisal.  The percentage used below is based on the use of the property.
Farm - 25%
Residential - 25%
Personal - 30%
Commercial - 40%
Industrial - 40%
Contact the Assessor's Office for questions on property classification at 615-789-7015.

 Back to Top

14.  Do I pay city and county taxes?  

If your property is located within the city limits of Dickson, Burns, Charlotte, Vanleer, or White Bluff, you will pay both city and county taxes.  If your property is located outside the city limits, you will only pay County taxes.

15.  How does filing Bankruptcy affect my taxes?  

Upon receiving a bankruptcy notice, a deputy in the Trustee's Office files a claim.  Taxes are generally paid in installments approved by the Bankruptcy Court.  Under federal law, the Trustee is prohibited from taking any action in collecting realty and personal property taxes, until the bankruptcy is dismissed or discharged.  We will still mail a tax notice just to let you know what your current taxes are.  If you are in bankruptcy, this notice is not an attempt to collect these taxes.

16.  Can I pay my County property taxes with a debit or credit card? 

This website uses secure payment systems to process Visa, MasterCard and Discover credit and debit cards.  Online checks are accepted.  You may also use our automated phone payment service by dialing 1-877-768-5048.  A convenience fee is a percentage or set amount of the transaction that is charged to the cardholder by the payment clearing house for processing credit card, debit card or e-check payments.  None of these fees are retained by the County.  You will have an opportunity to see what the fee will be before completing your payment.  The Tennessee Trustee website is maintained by the vendor, Business Information Systems (BIS). 

17.  What are "Real" property taxes?  

This tax is calculated based on the appraisal of the land and buildings located on the property. Each year the Assessor of Property provides the Trustee with a “certified tax roll.” This roll contains the name and addresses of all property owners as of January 1 as well as the appraisal values and assessment values based on property usage.  The Trustee’s Office applies the tax rate adopted by the County Commission for the fiscal year to arrive at the base amount of property tax due.  Please contact the Trustee’s Office to request a duplicate tax bill. Failure to receive a bill does not excuse the taxpayer from paying taxes. 

18.  What are "Personal" property taxes? 

Personal property taxes are taxes that are based on temporary or moveable property such as furnishings, office machines, computers, telephones, vehicles and other such items that are used by a company or a person to operate a business.  The tax is based upon information furnished to the Assessor of Property each year by the business.  The Assessor furnishes a schedule for each business owner to provide a detailed list of all tangible personal property owned by the business.  The Assessor determines the value of your personal property based on the information supplied.  It is the duty of the taxpayer to fully list all tangible personal property, to place a correct value on the property and to sign and return the schedule prior to the due date.  If the schedule is not returned prior to the due date, a forced assessment is given. 
Anyone in business on January 1 of any given year is responsible for the entire year's tax, even if they closed their business prior to December 31 of that same year.
If you close your business, you must first contact the Dickson County Clerk's Office at 615-789-5093 to cancel your business license.  Also, contact the Assessor of Property's Office at 615-789-7015 to inform them that your business is closed in order to take your business off the tax roll for the next year.

 Back to Top

19.  What do my property taxes do?  

All services provided by Dickson County Government are made available as a result of tax revenues collected.  The greatest amount of revenue received is from sales tax and property tax.

County property taxes for the 2016-2017 fiscal year are levied at a rate of $2.70 per $100 of assessed value.  

Below is a listing of how the $2.70 is allocated for fiscal year 2016:


 County Division Portion of  Tax Rate      


 Highway/Public Works     .11      
 General Purpose School


 General Debt Service     .59      


1.  Are there any discounts or exemptions for the elderly, disabled or veterans?

The State of Tennessee offers its Tax Relief Program for low-income elderly, disabled and disabled veterans.  Eligibility requirements include:  age/disability; ownership/residency; and income.  To apply for property tax relief, you must meet three basic criteria - these are described below.  Reimbursements for the property taxes of low-income homeowners who are elderly or disabled are provided by the State of Tennessee.  Reimbursements are given on all or part of the local taxes paid on property, which the taxpayer owns and uses as his/her residence.


During the tax year for which they are applying, an applicant must turn 65 on or before December 31.  In order to apply as a disabled homeowner, a person must have become disabled on or before December 31 of the tax year.  An applicant may apply if they are awaiting a decision on their disability claim.  The state office must receive the final decision by May 31 following the delinquency date.  The final decision must indicate their disability began on or before December 31 of the tax year.


An applicant must be able to document that they had ownership of the taxable property during the tax year.  Ownership may be documented by a tax bill/receipt, warranty deed, probated will, title or bill of sale for a mobile home.

Income Requirement (Elderly or Disabled Homeowners)

The combined annual income from all sources of all the living owners of record is required and cannot exceed $29,180 for the year 2016.  Annual income from all sources shall include, but is not limited to; Social Security payments less the Medicare deduction, Supplemental Security Income (SSI), retirement and pension benefits, veteran's benefits, worker's compensation, unemployment compensation, salaries and wages, alimony, total interest and total dividends. For business and/or rental income, include only the net income or loss after expenses as documented by your federal income tax return.

Disabled Veterans

Disabled veterans must have disabilities that meet specific criteria or specific service-connected disabilities.  Tax relief is paid on the first $100,000 of market value of the home.  The eligibility requirements for a widow or widower of a disabled veteran must also meet certain specifications.  Applications for tax relief are available in the Trustee's Office.  For more information, call our office at 615-789-7006, 615-446-2543, or 615-797-5320.

 Back to Top

Reviewing Your Property Info

1.  Is there a charge for reviewing information about my property? 

For an individual property, there is no charge for reviewing tax information.

2.  Is my property information viewable by other people?  

Any individual or company is allowed to review it.  Property tax information is public record.

Property Assessment

1.  Where can I find information about the assessed value of my property?  

The Assessor of Property is responsible for the appraisal and assessment of property.  You may contact the Assessor of Property's Office at 615-789-7015.

2.  How are the Assessor of Property's Office and the Trustee's Office related? 

The Assessor of Property is responsible for the appraisal and assessment of property, according to state law.  The Trustee's Office is responsible for billing and collection of taxes based on assessments.  The Trustee has no authority over the amount of assessment, nor can be involved in the appraisal process.

3.  What is the appeal process?  

Appointments can be made by contacting the Assessor of Property's Office at 615-789-7015. The appeal process begins in the Assessor of Property's Office by appearing before the Local Board of Equalization.  This board meets annually during the first two weeks of June.

 Back to Top

Tax Sale Information

1.  What is a tax sale?  

A tax sale is an auction of parcels of property that have delinquent taxes.

2.  What is the date and time of the annual tax sale auction? 

The tax sale auction varies with each county. 

3.  Where and when will the auction/sale be advertised?

The tax sale will be advertised in the local newspaper.  

4.  When are tax sales advertised?  

The auction list is published approximately 2-3 weeks before the sale. 

5.  How and when do you register for the tax sale auctions?  

There is no registration.  You must simply be present to bid. 

6.  Is it possible to register by mail?  

No, you cannot register by mail.

7.  What type of payment is required at auction?

Cash, money order, or check is required at the time of the sale. 

8.  What type of bidding process is used?  

This is an open public auction.

9.  Will the sales be final?  

Yes, all sales are final at the auction. 

Back to Top

10.  Will all other liens be cleared from the property as a result of the sale? 

Contact the Delinquent Tax Attorney for information. 

11.  Is there a redemption period before I can take possession once a property is acquired through your tax sale?  If so, what is the redemption period?

The new owner cannot take possession of the property until one year from the date the order of confirmation is filed.

12.  If there is a redemption period, does the investor earn interest during the redemption period?  If so, what is the annual interest rate?  

There is an annual interest rate of 12% percent earned on the property during the redemption period.

13.  If a foreclosure is necessary, will the county assist in this matter? 

No.  The County does not assist with foreclosures.

14.  Will I receive a document to verify the purchase?  Will it be a deed or a certificate of lien?  

You will receive a receipt showing the amount you paid.  At the end of the redemption period, the County will issue a deed.

15.  Do you allow investors to invest at your tax sales without attending the tax sale? 


16.  Is a current list of available properties or liens available?  

The available properties are published 2-3 weeks before the tax sale.  You may obtain a copy by contacting the newspaper. 

17.  Is a copy of the county and state statutes and rules regarding the tax sale available for purchase? 


18.  Would you please place me on your mailing list if you have one?  

Each County is different.  You would need to contact your Clerk & Master's Office at 615-789-7011 for this information. 

19.  Can I get a list of properties whose redemption period has already expired? 

You would need to contact your Clerk & Master's Office at 615-789-7011 for this information. 

20.  When will the list of unsold /unbid-on property be available?  

There is rarely property remaining after an auction that hasn't been sold or bid on.  If there is any property that was not sold or bid on, the one-year redemption period applies to the County.

 Back to Top

Home FAQ About Property Tax Office Staff Contact Us Map Tax Calculator